Thursday, March 26, 2009

Poor Me, Poor Me

Occasionally I get in a rut of thinking poor me, poor me. Yes, there have been things in my life, as short as it has been, that are fairly rare. Extreme sicknesses, deaths, unavoidable and huge expenses, and things that just plain suck. During college I was not only on my own for everything, but was privileged enough to bear some burdens for my parents. You have to picture my sarcastic self saying that "privileged" part. I try not to dwell on these things, but every once in a while I get upset when they effect my current life and goals negatively in so many ways. This particular week it is because my car has an almost permanent "check engine" light on (yes, I have gotten it fixed many times, but within hours of leaving the mechanic it is back on), and currently my oil light is now flashing and beeping at me. I am not a fan of thing beeping at me in the car.


Then I take a step back. Look at the big picture. I am and have always been, very good with money. I have a job--actually 2 jobs. I have a car. I have food in my refrigerator and a heater and a/c when necessary. I have a family that loves me. I have friends of all kinds that are there for me. I have a career path in which I am very excited, and even though it will take me a long time to get there, I believe it will be worth it in the end. Gratefulness. It's funny how it takes crying over a flashing oil light and check engine light in the car to realize how blessed I am. In today's unsteady economy and crazy layoffs, it is easy to dwell on the negative and get in a bad mood over the constant negative tone on the news. It is easy to forget about the things that are going well and to that make you happy. I am so incredibly grateful for my friends across the world. I am grateful for my family. I am extremely grateful for my job, especially since it is better than my last one:) I am grateful for the education that I am actually excited about. I am grateful for all that I have and for what will come:)

No comments: