Thursday, October 1, 2009

Small Lights Big Impact

This past summer, I counseled at the first "Created to Be Me" Sexuality and Spirituality 8ers camp for the KC Metro area. It was awesome. I wasn't sure how it would go down, and how I would be talking about body parts everyday, but it was an amazing week. There were ups and downs, but it was a memorable experience and again reminded me with neon signs why I am in ministry. It makes my heart smile:)

This week I *actually* got the mail, and there was a letter from Richard and Linda Goddard, the directors and founders of Cler Ministries. Inside were all of the letters that the campers had written. All were anonymous unless they wrote something in their letter specifying which one they were. I was laughing through sentimental tears while reading. I was shocked at what some of the kids had to say. Two revealed that they had already lost their virginity and now they regretted it.

It is amazing to me what impact a few pieces of paper have on me. The words of some teenagers and how they felt about this one week in an adventurous summer made my heart melt. I love it. I love how reading that letter made me feel. I love remembering all of the funny memories and amazing friends. I can't believe that I would ever question my abilities, purpose and love for this world. My hope is that everyone receives these small lights that brighten your day. They come when you least expect it and most need it.

No comments: