Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Labyrinth

I counseled at Chi Rho 2 this past summer and at the end we were asked our 'high' or the week and our 'low' of the week. My low was actually kind of funny--we have air conditioning in the cabins (yeah!) and the campers are not allowed to touch it for obvious reasons. One night it rained so it was a little cooler, plus the air conditioning made it pretty cold in the cabins. Maybe I should say it was FREEZING! I only brought sheets and a light blanket knowing it was the beginning of August. I even pulled my towel on me for extra warmth! We told the campers the next morning that someone had been messing with the thermostat and that's why it was so cold....that afternoon we figured out that it wasn't the campers...it was one of the counselors turning it the wrong way. Oops.

The high of my week was during our small group time on the second to the last day. We were talking about prayer and how they get answered, if they get answered, etc. I shared a very personal story and that opened it up for others to share stories. It was the best small group time that we had with this group of 6-7th graders. I asked if they wanted to visit the Labyrinth at camp for some prayer time. I was shocked that they all wanted to go, so I explained how it worked and tried to emphasize that it was a time of prayer and reflection. Basically--be quiet. I did not have high expectations of the group because of their age and all the counselors did all week was get them quiet. As we approached the Labyrinth, I told them it was time to quiet down, gave quick instructions and then had the first camper start. It was silent. It was silent the whole time. Every. Single. One. I was so impressed! Even the kid that always had to be the center of attention/jokester. I even walked the labyrinth after all of the kids went and they were quiet for me too. When I was done and walked out, they all said how awesome it was and how much they liked it. That is why I am in seminary. That is why I love working with the kids. For those moments that make me smile.

No comments: